August 11, 2016

Onion Layers





Lately I have been searching for more in my everyday exchanges with the Lord. Many years ago I heard someone say that reading and understanding the Bible was like peeling an onion layer by layer.

This thought stuck with me through the years, so it was not surprising to me for the Lord to use an onion skin to make a point with me.

I look for active ways to live my life in Him to the fullest and yet on some days it all seems pointless....to my flesh.... all my striving to love others as He loves me.

And yet there is that onion thing!

If you reach out regularly to be a blessing to others, you probably get discouraged. I know that I become discouraged! At times it is a real struggle to keep moving forward in my love walk.

Recently someone I love dearly, threw years of love and care away.

I cried, then I got angry, and then I surrendered.

I surrendered the thing I had given and placed it in my Father's lap.

As I sat tearfully before the Lord, listening to praise music, I noticed a piece of onion skin nearby.

An onion skin?

Well, all I can tell you is that God spoke to my heart with that layer of onion skin.

I was reminded that my walk came in layers also and that I needed to peel back another layer to get to the heart of the matter.

I saw that another layer of my walk with Him was to worship Him even as I felt sorrow.

So I perceive that....my walk with God is in layers too, just like the onion.

Because it seems that layers are peeled away as I seek Him and His way. 

An onions odor seems to get stronger as you peel it and get to the core.

I pray that my layers and yours will have the sweet odor(to exhibit the peculiar characteristics ) of Christ as we learn how to live this life, layer by layer.

~Debbie


2 Corinthians 2:15  For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:


New Living Translation
Our lives are a fragrance presented by Christ to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those being saved and by those perishing:


Galatians 6:9
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Galatians 6:10
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

*    Click  to see the original post..This is a repost from my Word Parables blog from 2009.



**If you click on the art parable painting title you will be redirected to its website for more information about the painting.

 All writing, poetry, posts, art, and photography copyright © 2016 Debbie Turner Chavers. All Rights Reserved. Encouragement? http://lolo-livingoutloudonline.com Protected by US and International copyright laws. Scripture references from King James bible